Data Analytics & Reporting Engineer
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2023
ZeroTier is a successful startup backed by leading venture capital investors including Bonfire Ventures, Anorak Ventures and First In Capital. Our mission is to directly connect the world’s devices and enable a new era of decentralized computing. We’re gearing up for the next generation of the ZeroTier platform, and we’re looking for a thoughtful, curious, and analytical data engineer to join our effort to build the strongest secure virtual networking platform in the world.
The ZeroTier user community spans six continents and in nearly 200 countries, with millions of devices active across private ZeroTier networks. Understanding the needs and expectations of this far-flung community is a core part of our business, and the Data Engineer will be a critical contributor to that effort.
We also consider the privacy and security of our users and their devices to be non-negotiable; any data we collect, store, and process needs to be handled with the utmost care. Reporting to the Head of Engineering, the Data Engineer will spend significant time collaborating with the broader ZeroTier team to deliver data-driven analysis and tools that fulfill that commitment.
We expect qualified candidates to be tech-savvy professionals who are curious about new and emerging digital technology. Some examples of near-term potential projects for the role include:
· Building dynamic reports and visualizations showing patterns of ZT usage around the world
· Developing a plan for experimentation and optimization for ZT’s web and native applications, including instrumentation, user segmentation and event capture, and integration of analytics and log data sources into coherent reports
· Streamlining and improving ZT’s support workflow by making application usage, support, and licensing histories for customers readily available
While this is a remote role located anywhere in the continental United States, preference will be shown to qualified candidates in or near ZeroTier’s operating hubs in Ohio and Southern California. We encourage you to apply for this position if you feel you are a match, regardless of location.
- Improve ZeroTier’s confidence in, and capacity to make, data-informed decisions
- Understand the business requirements, policies, and methodology required to support ZT’s use of data
- Develop and maintain a data catalog: sources, provenance, freshness, etc. of ZT’s data sources
- Implement automated ETL (extract, transform and load) pipelines to unify data from disparate sources
- Design and deliver reporting and analytics for our website, infrastructure, and business systems
- Integrate data collection, storage, and analysis directly into our applications and services
- Advocate for a user-centric, privacy-aware approach to data collection and use, including capture, retention, and sharing practices
- 3+ years of experience contributing code, documentation, and support for critical business applications
- Demonstrated experience applying mathematical and statistical analysis to business data
- Understanding of core data storage and query techniques: transactional DBs, warehouse/data lake architectures, batch processing
- Data visualization techniques to present time series, financial, and network/spatial data in an explainable and actionable way
- Experience and interest in working on projects with hard constraints around privacy and network security
- Awareness/exposure to geospatial information systems: visualization, geocoding
- Networking expertise (TCP/IP, firewalls, TLS + basic security practices) a plus
- BA/BS degree in CS/CE or demonstrably equivalent skill and experience. Advanced education in an aligned field (statistics, computer science, economics) preferred
- Proficiency with Python, R, or other high-level programming tools for data query and transformation
- Deep knowledge of one or more scalable database platforms (PostgreSQL, SQL Server, or managed offerings like Aurora or Cloud SQL)
- Ability to read, understand, and contribute to code written in one or more lower-level systems programming languages such as Go, C++, Rust, or Java
- Ability and willingness to research/learn new platforms
- Ability to communicate/convey outcomes from analysis in both written and verbal ways to audiences of varied technical depth.
- Ability to work well across teams with varied data/analytics experience, including developers working on other parts of the software stack
- Hybrid office / remote work
- Equity compensation package
- Generous employer-paid health insurance, including preventative dental care for adults
- 401K Plan
- Flexible PTO policy
- Flexible work hours (subject to manager approval)
- Maternal and paternal leave
- Career Enhancement Funds
- Employee Referral Bonus
ZeroTier develops software that automatically handles the complexities of networking across physical network boundaries, dealing with mobility and unifying cloud & edge to free customers from spending time building their projects and focus on running their business. Our network virtualization technology delivers the power of enterprise software-defined networking to every device, service, and application whether it’s located at the edge or in the cloud. It’s capable enough for large businesses with complex networking needs but easy enough that tens of thousands of regular people use it to do simple things like play games online or connect to their home PC from their mobile device. We work to solve the hard technical problems underlying decentralized application development so you can deliver applications that offer a positive low-friction user experience while avoiding the cost, liability, and security/privacy impact of a large highly involved cloud presence.
ZeroTier was founded by Adam Ierymenko in 2015. The company’s network virtualization software is used by millions of users all over the world.
For more information about us please visit our website at www.zerotier.com
PLEASE NOTE: Individuals seeking employment at ZeroTier are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation. Direct applicants ONLY. Any recruiter/3rd party submissions we receive will be considered a gift. Written CV’s and Cover Letters are encouraged. No calls please.
See more open positions at ZeroTier, Inc.
Something looks off?