Senior Software Engineer I, Customer Onboarding
Who is Boulevard?
Boulevard provides the first and only client experience platform for appointment-based, self-care businesses. We empower our customers to give their clients more of the magical moments that matter most.
Before launching in 2016, our founders spent months interviewing salon managers and working behind front desks to understand their pain points so we could design a modern, user-friendly platform that meets the unique needs of their business. Our roots may be in hair salons, but we are built for the broader self-care industry, including many types of salons, spas, medspas, barbershops, and more. Our technology not only helps our customers survive but thrive. Take a look at how we (and YOU) can make that happen.
We have an insatiable curiosity and embrace experimentation. We believe that simple solutions require the most sophistication, and we design each and every detail to maximize potential, power, and impact. Do our values match? Read through our story and what we value the most.
Our team values and celebrates our diverse backgrounds. Being open about who we are and what we do allows us to do the best work of our lives. We believe in equal opportunity for all, and you should too.
Come do the best work of your life at Boulevard.
Boulevard’s Onboarding & Growth team has an exciting imperative to build a world-class ETL for customer data migrations that provides seamless business continuity to new customers. This team’s charter is to create technology to efficiently and reliably launch businesses onto the Boulevard Platform, as well as enable them to manage their Boulevard subscription. With sales expanding and more and more businesses migrating from dozens of different software solutions, we’re outgrowing the technology we’ve built and relied on previously, and need to transition to a more robust architecture to handle the breadth and load of demand.
As a senior team member, you will be responsible for designing and implementing the next evolution of our Onboarding & Growth systems, having a huge and direct impact on Boulevard’s bottom line, as well as big knock-on effects for the efficiency of our engineering, sales, and operations teams. There will be hard decisions to make given the complexity of this domain, and we’ll rely on you to build the best solutions, not the easiest. You’ll have a role in the development of the product roadmap, and be a leader amongst your engineering teammates, as we build the future of the Boulevard platform together.
What you’ll do here:
- Build a next-generation multi-stage cloud-based ETL product suited to the purpose of seamless customer data migration at scale.
- Implement best-of-class encryption and data transport strategies to securely handle sensitive PCI, PHI, and PII client data.
- Deprecate and put to bed existing bottleneck technologies while cutting over hot migration ops streams to new replacement solutions.
- Grok a sprawling domain of 20+ origin platforms and solution for disparate integration/extraction methods, data formats, supported features, and platform reliability.
- Work in modern development technologies like Elixir, Phoenix, TypeScript, React, GraphQL, Postgres, Docker, EventBridge, and SQS, with input into further technology adoption for this domain.
- Design and deliver robust, fault-tolerant, scalable, observable systems to service concurrent, data-intensive migration events.
- Craft smart, efficient developer tooling, delivery pipelines, system abstractions, and support infrastructure to allow the team to stay nimble and iterate quickly.
- Support on-call rotation to learn the failure modes of deployed solutions and devise betterment strategies.
- Collaborate with product and design teams to create a stunning digital experience that is the all-important first impression when a business onboards as a customer with Boulevard.
- Be surrounded by a community of inspired technologists eager to further each other’s growth and build the highest value software product in the self-care industry!
What you’ll need to thrive:
- Experience: 5+ years of experience building distributed systems at scale; 2+ years of functional programming experience as an engineer.
- CS Foundations: Ability to make sound decisions and tradeoffs in design and implementation, appropriately anticipating scale, maintenance, and overall operational feasibility of solutions.
- Database Expert: Experience with RDBMS and NoSQL usage and patterns; ability to optimize query performance and instill database best practices.
- Mentor and Mentee: Smarts, humility, communication skills, and equal willingness to teach and learn. Mentors other team members through instilling best practices, pair programming, quality code reviews, and documentation. Teach to fish vs. feed.
- Ownership: Able to lead mid-sized initiatives by partnering with Product, Design, and other stakeholders to define and scope smaller deliverables that yield incremental value to the business and customers.
- Collaboration: Work cross-team and cross-functionally to drive requirements to clarity, identify technical hurdles, and deliver results to answer customer needs.
- Autonomy: Ability to move things forward in the face of ambiguity, operating effectively in decision making while clearly articulating risk, trade offs, and ensuring properly visibility to key stakeholders and team.
- Bonus Points For: Experience with creating/implementing: distributed ETL systems; scalable DB architectures; safe and efficient database bulk imports; containerization with Docker, shell scripting, and Linux.
How We'll Take Care Of You:
Your starting budgeted cash compensation for this role is between $136,850 and $195,500, depending on your current skills, experience, training, and overall market demands. This total compensation range is subject to change, and there is always room for growth and advancement.
In addition to the wonderful people you’ll get to work with (meet some of them here!) and challenging projects that’ll push you - Boulevard is here to make sure you’re always at the top of your game emotionally, mentally, and physically.
✨ We’ve got you covered with a 401(k) match plus dental, medical, vision, and life insurance.
🏝 Take a break whenever you need with our flexible vacation day policy.
🖥 Fully remote so you can choose where you want to work. You’ll receive a work from home stipend every month.
💚 Family planning resources and specialized support programs.
🔮 Equity: get ahead on the ground floor and grow with Boulevard.
💅 Boulevard Bucks Learning and Development program allows employees to explore businesses in the market we serve.
📲 We recommend following our official LinkedIn page to stay up to date on all things Boulevard life!
Boulevard Labs, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. All employment decisions at Boulevard Labs, Inc. are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.